I have been wanting to make prawn laksa for a long time. I often see my family and friends post pictures of this curry soup on social media. Apparently, prawn laksa is a popular dish to order whenever the dish is part of the menu. There are many versions of this dish but I like this one because of its simplicity. It uses Thai red curry paste which I have already in my fridge and also uses rice noodles, which is the one that I often use to make pancit (Filipino sautéed noodles). I was happy how this dish came out after making it. It was refreshingly delicious! There’s a bit of a kick to it, which my husband really liked. The prawn was very tasty and the noodle absorbed the creamy flavor of the soup. Definitely a keeper!
- Prawn or large shrimp – the main protein in this dish
- Soup base: vegetable oil, chili, Thai red curry paste, vegetable broth, coconut milk – the mixture adds a kick to the prawn laksa from the curry paste and chili. However, the coconut milk cools it down and adds creaminess.
- Seasoning: fish sauce, lime juice
- Garnish: chopped cilantro, lime wedges
How to make prawn laksa
To make this prawn laksa, first saute the sliced chili in hot oil. Next, add the Thai red curry paste and saute for few seconds. After that, add the vegetable broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Then, add the coconut milk, bring to a boil again and season it with the fish sauce. After, add the rice noodles and cook until soft. Finally, add the lime juice and prawn in the last few moments of cooking. Garnish the dish by sprinkling chopped cilantro on top.
- You may omit the chili from this prawn laksa if you are not fond of spicy food.
- Vermicelli noodles may be used instead of rice noodles.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red Thai chili , finely sliced
- 2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 oz rice noodles
- Juice of 1 lime
- 14 oz prawn or large shrimp , shelled and deveined, leaving tails on
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the chili and sauté for 1 minute. Add the curry paste and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the fish sauce and then toss in the noodles. Cook for 3 minutes or until the noodles are soft. Add the lime juice and prawns, and cook for 2 minutes or until the prawns are pink and cooked. Sprinkle top with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve, garnish with more chopped cilantro and lime wedges.