Maja blanca is a Filipino dessert that is usually served on holidays or special occasions. This recipe uses several types of milk, coconut flakes and corn to create a deliciously sweet treat with gelatin-like consistency. Surprisingly, this dessert is easy to make. It uses easy to find ingredients and there are only a few easy-to-follow steps. In this recipe, coconut milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk are mixed and boiled in a pot. Then, the kernel corn is added to the mixture. Cornstarch is added to thicken the mixture. Finally, the mixture is poured into a square pan and refrigerated until set. The toasted coconut flakes that were used to garnish these delicious coconut squares made it taste even better. It added texture as well as crunch to the squares. Enjoy!
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 can (354 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup canned whole kernel corn ,drained
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine together coconut milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kernel corn and cook for about a minute or two.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk and then whisk until cornstarch has completely dissolved.
- Gradually add cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring, until mixture thickens to a paste. Watch carefully, the mixture will thicken quickly.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan. Use oiled spatula to smooth out surface.
- Allow mixture to cool down, cover and then put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, spread the coconut flakes in a wide skillet. Toast, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until browned.
- Cut maja blanca into squares and then serve with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes on top.