I have so many favorite Filipino desserts and maja blanca is one of them. I love the coconut pudding texture with the sweet corn kernels and toasted coconut topping. It’s milky, smooth, sweet and very delicious!
What is Maja Blanca?
Maja blanca is a Filipino dessert that is usually served on holidays or special occasions. It is especially popular during Christmas time. The base is like a coconut pudding with kernels of corn and milk mixed in it. This recipe uses several types of milk, coconut flakes and corn to create a deliciously sweet treat with gelatin-like consistency. Surprisingly, this dessert is easy to make. It uses easy to find ingredients and there are only a few easy-to-follow steps.
- Coconut Milk – The coconut milk is where most of the coconut flavor comes from. I use canned coconut milk.
- Evaporated milk and milk- I like to use a combination of evaporated milk, condensed milk and milk. The condensed milk adds the sweetness while the other two milks are used to balance out the sweetness while still adding that milky flavor.
- Condensed milk – adds sweetness and creaminess to the dessert
- Whole Kernel Corn – The corn adds another texture to the dessert that I really like.
- Cornstarch – The cornstarch will thicken the milk mixture. It will give a texture that resembles gelatin or pudding that is traditionally seen in maja blanca.
- Unsweetened Coconut Flakes – I use unsweetened coconut flakes so that it will not overpower the dessert. I toast the coconut flakes in a large pan before using it to top the maja blanca. It adds texture and even more coconut flavor.
How to make maja blanca
Maja blanca is actually a pretty easy dessert to make. First, mix and boil the coconut milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk in a pot. Then, add the kernel corn to the mixture. After that, add the cornstarch, which will thicken the mixture. Finally, pour the mixture into a square pan and refrigerated until set. Meanwhile, toast the coconut flakes in a large skillet. Top the maja blanca with the toasted coconut flakes to add texture as well as crunch to the squares. Enjoy!
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 1 can (354 ml) evaporated milk
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup canned whole kernel corn ,drained
- ¾ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine together coconut milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kernel corn and cook for about a minute or two.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and milk and then whisk until cornstarch has completely dissolved.
- Gradually add cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring, until mixture thickens to a paste. Watch carefully, the mixture will thicken quickly.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan. Use oiled spatula to smooth out surface.
- Allow mixture to cool down, cover and then put in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, spread the coconut flakes in a wide skillet. Toast, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until browned.
- Cut maja blanca into squares and then serve with a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes on top.