It has been a hot summer so far! This year brought record-breaking heat which make outdoor activities less desirable. We cope by staying indoors most of the time and if we need to go out, we to do it early in the morning or late at night. Furthermore, we stay hydrated by drinking lots of water and lately added this melon drink to cool us down. Cantaloupe is in season so it’s a perfect fruit to use for summer drink.
Melon drink is a popular summer drink amongst Filipinos. It is another way most Filipinos enjoy cantaloupes. The cantaloupe is grated into long strands and then mixed with cold water, sugar and lime juice. The lime juice adds a distinct zesty flavor to this sweet and refreshing drink. It is cold, sweet and refreshing. It is the perfect drink to enjoy on a hot summer day.
- Cantaloupe – The main ingredient in this melon drink. Be sure to use ripe cantaloupes for the sweetest and most flavorful drink.
- Sugar – adds some more sweetness to this drink
- Lime juice – adds a zesty taste and flavor to this drink
- Cold water – binds all the ingredients in this recipe
HOW TO MAKE CANTALOUPE DRINK:
To make this sweet and refreshing melon drink, first cut the cantaloupe in half and scrape out the seeds and pulp. Add a cup of water and use your fingers to squish out more juice from the seeds and pulp. Strain the extracted juice and then set aside. Discard the seeds. Next ,grate the cantaloupe into a long strands, avoiding the green flesh close to the skin. Finally, assemble the melon drink by combining the extracted juice, grated cantaloupe, cold water, sugar, lime juice and lime wedges. Chill for at least two hours before serving.
- Choose a cantaloupe that is beige or creamy yellow in color. The stem end should be round, smooth and slightly dented. Lastly, choose a cantaloupe that emits a pleasant sweet smell.
- In grating the cantaloupe, avoid grating through the green bitter part, the one that’s close to the skin.
- To achieve a sweeter and more flavorful melon drink, chill it in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- 1 large cantaloupe about 3 lbs
- 4 cups of cold water
- ½ cup sugar plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Couple wedges of lime
- Cut the melon in half. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and pulp, then put the seeds and pulp in a medium bowl. Add 1 cup of water and using your fingers, squish the seeds and pulp to extract flavor. Use a sieve to strain the juice. Discard the seeds and reserve the juice.
- Using a cantaloupe scraper (or coconut grater), grate the flesh of the cantaloupe.
- In a large pitcher, combine the extracted juice, grated cantaloupe, 3 cups of cold water, sugar, lime juice and lime wedges. Stir thoroughly, then taste, adding more sugar if needed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least couple of hours.
- To serve, pour the chilled cantaloupe drink into a glass filled with ice.