Pinatisang Manok is a Filipino dish that I consider a comfort food. Growing up, my mom and aunt would make us a similar dish called pinatisang pata (pork hock). The Filipino word “pinatisan” means to be “flavored with fish sauce” and you can definitely taste it. I am glad that I am able to make this simple chicken dish using chicken, spinach and a few other ingredients that are readily available in my pantry.
In this recipe, I used a mixture of chicken thighs and drumsticks. To make the dish a bit healthier, I removed the chicken skin. First, the chicken pieces are sautéed in garlic, onion and ginger until browned. Afterwards, the chicken pieces are flavored with fish sauce and then simmered for half an hour. Spinach and serrano peppers were added at the final stage of cooking. Normally, pepper leaves are used, but I prefer spinach because it’s always available at the grocery store. Enjoy!
- 2.4 lbs chicken pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 thumb-sized ginger peeled and julienned
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups baby spinach or pepper leaves
- 2 serrano peppers
- Prepare the chicken pieces by removing the skin, rinsing under cold water and patting dry with paper towels. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes, or until onion has softened.
- Add chicken pieces and sauté for 4 minutes or until browned and no longer pink.
- Add fish sauce and stir to combine flavor. Add water, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat to medium, cover with a lid and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until chicken meat is tender. Stir in spinach or pepper leaves. Cover and remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.