My family and I have been enjoying the fruits and vegetables that my garden is producing this summer. The blueberries came early this year and I just harvested the last batch this morning. I am still waiting for the green peppers and white eggplants to reach their desired size while the strawberries, tomatoes and red Russian kale just keep on producing. Just yesterday, I harvested a large bunch of kale and decided to simply sautéed it with garlic and finished off with a drizzle lemon juice. To add more taste and flavor, I also drizzled the cooked kale with this garlic chili infused olive oil that I bought from our recent trip to Leavenworth. I served this tasty side dish alongside the pork side ribs that I baked for dinner last night. Yummy!
- 1 large bunch of red Russian kale, washed, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for about a minute or until it turns just golden.
- Add kale and stir until kale is fully coated with oil. Add salt, pepper and water. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until kale is soft and tender. Adjust seasonings and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Serve with your favorite meat.
A “large bunch” of kale is a bit ambitious for a measurement; could you weigh your next batch, please, and share this number in ounces or pounds? Thanks.
Killer recipe! We couldn’t believe how tasty this turned out.
Sounds so good. Enough for several days for 1 person. I am adding to my pasta tonight.
So good! We planted 3 or 4 Russian Kale plants outside the front door in raised beds. Had no idea what to do with it beyond salads. This is by far my favorite way to eat it. And the yield is incredible even since some hard frosts. Plenty more in the future I’d say. Had it tonight with salmon perfect.
You are welcome Tim! I am glad you were able to try this recipe and had success with it 🙂
Yummy and savory!! Both my husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. Thanks so much for posting it. This is the first year I’ve grown red Russian kale and came across your post when looking for recipes to use it. Will definitely make this one again!!!
You’re welcome Sheryl! Glad you and your husband enjoyed it 🙂
Made this last night. It was wonderful. Thank you!
You’re welcome Patti!
Best recipe I’ve found so far! Delicious! Thank you!
You’re welcome Pamela!