This salmon curry recipe is another one to tickle your taste buds. The salmon fillets are coated in a paste consisting of incredible spices. It is seared and then simmered with a flavorful sauce. When perfectly cooked, the salmon is so tender and juicy. My son and husband could not get enough of this dish. Yum!
- ¾ cup avocado or canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1- inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning the fish
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ cup unsalted raw cashews
- 4 salmon fillets
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp roughly ground mustard seeds
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Heat ½ cup oil in a heavy pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt, tomato sauce, curry powder, garam masala and cashews. Cook, stirring regularly, on medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Place cashew mixture in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Season the fish with salt and then rub 3 tablespoons of the cashew mixture all over the salmon fillets. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat the remaining ¼ cup oil over medium high heat. Add the salmon fillets and fry until brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the pan. Reheat the pan over medium high heat and then add the water, mustard seeds and remaining cashew mixture.
- Bring to a simmer and then add the salmon fillets, and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro.