I love this one pot skillet chicken with mushrooms and white beans dish because it has two of my favorite ingredients: mushrooms and white beans. In this recipe, all the cooking was done in the oven using a cast iron skillet. The bacon and fat from the skin-on and bone-in chicken thighs made this dish taste so much better.
To prepare this dish, the chicken is put into the skillet and is topped with diced bacon. It is then surrounded with mushrooms, lemon, and red onions, then cooked in the oven for 35 minutes. The sauce consisting of white wine, cream, mustard and garlic was added and then cooked again in the oven for another 45 minutes. The chicken came out juicy and flavorful and I especially loved it with the mushrooms and white beans. It is a satisfying and hearty dish that is both tasty and easy to cook!
Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and White Beans
- 4 chicken thighs ,skin-on, bone-in
- 6 large button mushrooms ,quartered
- 1 small red onion ,cut in wedges
- Half lemon ,cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 6 pieces of thick-cut bacon ,diced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large cloves garlic ,minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 (398mL can) cannellini or white beans , drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the chicken, skin side up on a cast iron skillet. Arrange the mushrooms, red onion and lemon around the chicken. Sprinkle the diced bacon on top of the chicken. Roast in the oven until the bacon is crisp, about 35 minutes.
- In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the white wine, cream, mustard and garlic.
- Remove the cast iron from the oven. Move the crisp diced bacon from top of the chicken and place it around the chicken. Pour the wine mixture around the chicken, avoiding the skin. Stir in the thyme and beans and then season with salt and pepper.
- Return the skillet in the oven and continue to roast until chicken is browned, about 45 minutes.
- Discard the thyme and serve over rice.