This Asian style steak and asparagus stir fry is another one of those dishes that I can make on a busy weeknight. This recipe uses some basic Asian ingredients and flavors such as oyster sauce, garlic, ginger and soy sauce. I knew in my head that these ingredients would be so good with beef and asparagus. I was not wrong! First, the beef is marinated with ginger, soy sauce, oil and cornstarch. While the beef is marinating, the asparagus is stir fried on its own until crisp tender. After removing the asparagus and setting it aside, the beef is added and stir fried. Then, the sauce of water, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic and cornstarch is mixed in until it has thickened. The result is a fantastic dish consisting of tasty, tender beef and crunchy asparagus coated with a delicious sauce. My family loves this dish so much, I have already made it twice since last week. Enjoy!
Steak and Asparagus Stir Fry
- 12 oz flank or top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 knob ginger, peeled and julienned
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 ½ lb asparagus
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for stir-frying
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Place sliced beef in a bowl. Add ginger, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon oil and cornstarch; mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Trim asparagus by snapping off woody ends and then cutting into 2-inch diagonal pieces.
- In a bowl, prepare sauce by whisking together water, oyster sauce, soy sauce, garlic and cornstrach. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until crisp tender. Transfer asparagus onto a plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add beef and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Give cornstarch mixture a final stir and then add to the pan. Add asparagus and stir to coat. Cook for a minute or two or until sauce slightly thickened. Sprinkle with chopped green onions.
- Remove from the heat and serve with steamed rice.