It was Canada day weekend and my family went to Vancouver Island to spend time together. Even my son from Calgary came home to take this trip with us. We went for hikes, visited some local attractions and enjoyed the island’s bounty of seafood. It was nice to relax and have fun times bonding with my family. Even the weather cooperated and it was warm and sunny most of the time.
This salad is the perfect meal to have on a warm summer day like we are having here in Vancouver. It is easy to make and uses fresh and easy to find ingredients. It can be made vegetarian by omitting the bacon. Either way, this kale salad is simple, light and delicious.
- 6 cups baby kale (prewashed kind)
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place kale, strawberries and avocado into a large bowl and set aside.
- For the dressing, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble into small pieces and whisk together with remaining ingredients. Drizzle over salad and serve.