It has been a great long weekend. Vancouver had a fabulous summer-like weather and two of my boys were home for Thanksgiving. Turkey dinner was at my cousin’s place this year. As always, there was a lot of food. Her husband cooked an 18 lbs turkey with all the trimmings. Meatballs, spinach salad, noodles, yam with marshmallow and baked potatoes were also served. By request, I made oyster cake and for dessert, tres leches cake. As for the kids, my cousin made cake pop and jello while I made everyone’s favorite, arroz caldo.
Arroz caldo is a Filipino congee in which rice and chicken are boiled in a large amount of water until the rice softens significantly. In addition to onions and ginger; saffron, black peppers and fish sauce may be added to give this rice dish more flavors. This dish is often served as a meal on its own.
Arroz caldo is one of my comfort foods to have on a cold rainy day. I usually make this rice dish for my kids when they were growing up or when they are sick, as it is a mild and easily digestible food. My favorite way of eating arroz caldo is to add a hint of lemon juice and garnish it with chopped green onions 🙂
- 1 kg chicken pieces, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 thumb-size ginger, cut into strips
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce or salt
- 1½ cups uncooked rice, washed and drained
- 7 cups water
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron (optional)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- Chopped green onions
- Season chicken pieces with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a big pan with lid. Sauté ginger and onions until soft and clear.
- Add chicken pieces, stir and cook for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Add fish sauce, rice and saffron, if using; stir to combine flavors.
- Add water; stir to mix ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add hard boiled eggs. Correct seasonings with fish sauce or salt.
- Serve with chopped green onions and lemon wedges.