Bruschetta is an Italian appetizer consisting of toasted bread rubbed with garlic and topped with olive oil, salt and pepper. One variation that is served in most restaurants includes tomatoes and basil, which is my family’s favorite.
Bruschetta is the unanimous choice for dinner on a hot summer day. It is not only light and refreshing but also delicious and healthy.
- 12 large plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 French baguette bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice the baguettes into diagonal pieces, about ¾-1 inch thick. Put them on a baking pan and toast them in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into small cubes.
- In a large bowl, stir in tomatoes with oil, garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper and basil leaves.
- Put tomato toppings in a bowl and serve with toasted bread on the side.