Turon (fried banana roll) has always been a favorite dessert/snack in my house. I normally make it when I have over-ripe bananas and left-over wrappers from making lumpiang shanghai or pork and vegetable spring rolls. Turon is a classic street food originally made with a slice of banana that is rolled in brown sugar, covered with a wrapper and then fried. This apple cinnamon turon recipe takes the classic Filipino snack to the next level by using apples and cinnamon instead of banana. The result is a delicious roll that is crunchy on the outside while sweet and tart on the inside.
- Apple – the main star of this recipe.
- Butter – is used to sauté the apple, adding texture and flavor as well.
- Brown sugar – adds sweetness to the filling. It balances the sour taste of the Granny Smith apple.
- Ground cinnamon – adds a distinct taste and flavor to the filling.
- Spring roll wrappers –are used to hold the apple filling together.
- Vegetable oil – is used to fry the turon.
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CINNAMON TURON:
To make apple cinnamon turon, first sauté the cubed apples in butter until brown and soft. Next, add the brown sugar and cinnamon and cook until well-combined. Set the mixture aside to cool. When the mixture is cool, spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture on a piece of wrapper. Roll up and seal well. Fry the turon until golden brown.
- I used Granny smith apples in this recipe. I love the tartness and sharp flavor it gives to the filling. Other kinds of apples may also be used.
- ¼ cup butter , cubed
- 3 apples , peeled and sliced into ½-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 8 pieces 8-inch frozen spring roll wrappers , thawed and separated
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add the butter and cubed apples. Sauté until apple is soft, about 7 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir until well combined. To drain excess fat, use a strainer spoon to transfer the mixture into a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Lay a wrapper on a plate with 1 corner facing you. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the apple cinnamon mixture along the corner of the wrapper closest to you. Roll the wrapper over the mixture, tuck in both sides and roll it up tight. Moisten the end with water and press to seal. Repeat the process for the rest of the apple cinnamon mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the turon, in batches until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
I have heard it is a good idea when making the traditional banana roll to dip the banana in Nutella or chocolate prior to wrapping and frying. Just a thought.