Beef Kaldereta (Caldereta) is a popular Filipino stew that is served during parties and holidays. There are so many great Filipino stews and a couple of my favorites that I’ve shared before include chicken afritada and pinakbet. Traditionally, kaldereta is made using goat meat. However, goat is not always easily accessible, so beef, chicken or pork may be used instead. Tomato sauce, onion, liver spread, bell pepper and cheese are usually part of the recipe as well. The purpose of the liver spread is to thicken and add flavor the sauce.
How to make beef kaldereta
The first thing to do in this recipe is to marinate the beef. The marinade consists of vinegar, peppercorns and garlic. After marinating the beef, the beef is drained from the marinade and browned in a heavy pan and set aside. Onions are sauteed in the same pan used in browning the meat until translucent. Then, the pieces of beef are reintroduced into the pan with the onions. The tomato sauce, bay leaf. salt, sugar and water are added to the pan and the whole mixture is simmered for 1 and a half hours to 2 hours. When the beef has achieved the perfect tenderness, the red pepper, potato, carrot and hot sauce are added. The mixture is left to simmer again for 10 more minutes. Finally, the liver paste and green peas are added and cooked for a final time for 5 minutes. This dish is served with white rice and optionally garnished with shredded cheese.
I loved how this beef kaldereta turned out. The meat was so tender and full of flavor. My family and I enjoyed this wonderful dish for lunch on Sunday and we took some to a dear friend who was not feeling well lately. I was hoping this appetizing dish would cheer him up. And I am glad it did!
- 1 ½ lbs stewing beef cut into 1 inch cubes
- ½ cup vinegar
- 6 whole peppercorns crushed
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water ,or more as needed
- 1 red bell pepper ,cut into strips
- 1 small carrot ,peeled and diced
- 1 potato ,peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- ¼ cup liver spread
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Grated cheddar cheese ,optional
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, crushed peppercorns and garlic. Stir in the beef, cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 1 hour.
- While the beef is marinating, prepare all the vegetables needed for this dish.
- After an hour, remove the beef from the marinade and let it drain for few minutes.
- Using a heavy pan, brown the beef in hot oil a few pieces at a time. Transfer into a plate and set aside.
- Using the same pan, sauté the onion until translucent. Return the browned beef to the pan. Add tomato sauce, bay leaf, salt, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 1 ½ to 2 hours or until the beef is tender, stirring constantly and adding more water as needed.
- Add the red pepper, potato, carrot and hot sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Add the liver paste and green peas. Stir and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving plate and top with grated cheese, if using.
- Serve as is or with steamed rice.