What do you get when you combine chicken fried rice with cauliflower rice? You get this chicken cauliflower fried rice that has the taste of chicken fried rice with the low-carb benefit of cauliflower rice. In this dish, the cauliflower is first prepared by grating or processing the florets to create rice-like pieces. Then, the chicken is cooked along with the vegetables. After combining the cauliflower with the chicken and vegetables, a delicious sauce is poured over. The result is a healthier chicken “fried rice”. Enjoy!
Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into small strips
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce or soy sauce
- Break apart and cut the cauliflower head into large florets.
- Cut the cauliflower florets into small pieces and process in a food processor in small batches until completely broken down to rice-like granules. Alternatively, you may grate the florets using the large holes of a grater. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, scrambled. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the 1 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and stir fry until cooked through, about 5 minutes
- Add 1 tbsp soy sauce, garlic, peas and carrots and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes or until the cauliflower is in its desired texture. I prefer it with a little bit of crunch and not too mushy.
- Stir in the scrambled eggs.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the cornstarch and water until cornstarch is fully dissolved. Add the sesame oil, soy sauce, honey and oyster sauce. Heat the sauce over medium heat. Stir frequently until the sauce thickens.
- Pour glaze over rice.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately.