This coconut curry chicken dish caught my attention because the sauce is made of both tomato and coconut. I am a big fan of tomato based sauces so I knew that this dish would taste great. After I made the dish and tasted the sweet and spicy tomato coconut curry chicken dish, I was not disappointed. I love curry dishes and have shared some recipes such as a creamy chicken curry, which is similar but does not use coconut milk. However, this recipe is a definite stand-out.
What kind of coconut milk to use
The best kind of coconut milk to use in coconut curry chicken is a thicker variety of canned coconut milk. The trick to getting a thick sauce is to find a thicker variety of canned coconut milk. There are many different kinds of canned coconut milk you can find in the grocery store. The one that I used actually required me to mix it before using because the thick coconut and the liquid separated in the can. This resulted in a thicker curry sauce.
How to make Coconut Curry Chicken
Coconut curry chicken is easy to prepare. I like to cut the chicken breasts into chunks and season it with salt and pepper first. This step gives a chance for the seasoning to integrate with the meat. Then, heat the curry and oil in a large skillet for about a minute. Add the onions and garlic to create a fragrant curry mixture. Then, add the chunks of chicken and mix to coat. Cook the chicken in the curry powder, oil, garlic and onions until no longer pink. Finally, simmer the chicken pieces in the coconut milk, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Simmer for 7 to 10 minutes or util you achieve the desired sauce consistency.
This coconut curry chicken recipe resulted is a delicious coconut-tomato curry dish that we all enjoyed. Other than selecting the right coconut milk, one way get a thicker sauce is to allow the curry to simmer for longer. This will reduce the liquid in the curry and eventually, you will end up with a thicker sauce.
Coconut Curry Chicken
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomato, drained
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce (passata may be used if tomato sauce is not available)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper.
- Mix curry powder and oil. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the curry oil mixture. Heat curry oil for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken chunks and toss lightly to coat with the curry oil mixture.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve immediately, over rice. Enjoy!
- If you find that there is too much sauce for your taste, you can simmer for longer to reduce the sauce to the desired amount.
- I used Thai Kitchen coconut milk . The coconut milk was quite thick out of the can.
- A few people are wondering the type of curry powder I used. I used McCormick brand and is simply labeled as "Curry Powder". (example here)