Congee is my go-to dish whenever I am feeling under the weather, as it is a mild and easily digested food. Pork and century egg congee, beef congee and arroz caldo are some of my favorites. Most of the time, I order congee from my favorite Chinese restaurant but lately, my son and I made it at home. Last week, I bought a package of cod from Costco. I decided to make half of it into pan fried soy fish and the rest, I decided to make into fish congee. This congee recipe has a few and simple ingredients. It is incredibly easy to make and yet satisfyingly tasty. The fish is marinated in strips of ginger, fish sauce and white pepper. The marinated fish when cooked adds a layer of flavor to the congee. A garnish of chopped green onions makes it even taste better. A hot bowl of this rice congee is indeed a perfect comfort food to have!
- Cod fillets – main protein in this recipe
- Marinade: fish sauce, ground white pepper and ginger – makes the fish tastier.
- Chicken broth – adds an extra flavor to the congee.
- Jasmine rice – main carb in this recipe
- Garnish – chopped green onions
HOW TO MAKE FISH CONGEE
To make this fish congee recipe, first marinade the fish in a mixture of fish sauce, white pepper and strips of ginger for at least 30 minutes. While the fish is marinating, bring the chicken stock to a boil and then add the rice. Cook the mixture for 45 minutes or until the right consistency has been reached. Next, add the marinated fish and let it cook for 2 minutes. This fish congee is best served hot and garnished with chopped green onion.
TIPS FOR MAKING FISH CONGEE
- Marinate the fish for at least 30 minutes. This step gives the fish the chance to absorb the marinade, thus making it tasty. The marinated fish when cooked with the rice also add a layer of flavor and texture (ginger) to the congee.
- Unless said in the packaging, it is not necessary to rinse the rice in this recipe. The starch in the rice helps to thicken the congee.
- Use chicken broth to cook the rice. It adds an extra flavor to the congee
- 1 lb cod fillets or any white fish
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- 1- inch knob ginger , peeled and julienned
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups Jasmine rice
- Chopped green onion , for garnish
- Slice the fish thinly at an angle into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the fish, fish sauce , ground white pepper and ginger. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinade for at least 30 minutes.
- In a heavy pan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until rice is cooked and the right consistency preferred has been reached, about 45 minutes.
- Add the marinated fish and continue to cook until fish is tender and opaque in color, about 2 minutes.
- Serve, garnish with chopped green onions.
This looks fabulous. What do you serve with it to make it a meal?
I would serve this fish congee with steamed broccoli, bok choy or gai-lan. Hope these help!
Just made this for my sister and it’s her new favourite! Thank you! 😄
You’re welcome Julian! Glad that you were able to make this fish congee for your sister. She is so lucky to have somebody to take care of her 🙂 Take care and thanks for writing!