Instant pots have been popular for quite some time now and I’ve been wanting to try out some recipes. These recipes are popular all-over social media and I’ve even had some requests for Instant Pot Filipino recipes. I was lucky enough to buy one of these on sale over the holidays and this Instant Pot chicken and potato rice was the first one I made.
In this dish, the aromatics are first sautéed in the Instant Pot. Then, the rest of the ingredients are added including the rice and potatoes. This rice dish came out nice and dark in color, due to the dark soy sauce used. The dish reminds me of kiam pung (Chinese style flavored rice), which is one of my husband’s favorite. My family enjoyed this delicious rice dish. It’s a keeper!
Instant Pot Chicken and Potato Rice
- 1 lb bones skinless chicken thighs, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green onion, cut into 2-inches pieces
- 1 2- inch ginger, peeled and sliced into strips
- 1 star anise
- 2 cloves
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tbsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups white long rice , rinsed and drained
- 2 medium yellow potatoes , peeled and cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 green onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- In a medium glass bowl, combine together the ingredients for the marinade. Add the chicken and mix. Cover with a plastic wrap and marinade in the fridge overnight.
- Using a 6 quart Instant Pot, press the “sauté” function and add the olive oil. When the “Hot” appears on the screen, add the green onion, ginger, star anise and cloves. Sauté for a minute.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook, stirring frequently until the chicken turns light brown, about 4 minutes.
- Press “Cancel” and then add the chicken broth, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, salt, rice and potatoes. Stir and then cover with the lid. Set the valve to sealing position and then press the “Rice Function” to start.
- When time is done, wait for 10 minutes then carefully quick release the pressure and open the lid.
- Stir in finely chopped green onion and sesame oil. Cover the pot with the lid and let sit for 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm.
Dear Liza, I am one of your regular users and I am very inspired by your blog recipe articles. And this one I have tried in my house INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND POTATO RICE
and I have done amazing food so its all credit goes to you so great thanks.