This Middle Eastern vegetable salad recipe was shared to me by my co-worker. She cooks a lot of Middle Eastern style food and occasionally shares some of her food with me and I always love it. My family and I love cucumber and tomatoes, so I knew right away that this dish would be a big hit with them.
This vegetarian dish is delicious, healthy, light and refreshing salad. It is one of those salads that is perfect to have on those hot summer days. The dish consists of chickpeas, English cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, mint and basil. The dressing is a simple one of lemon and olive oil. Enjoy!
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 lb tomatoes seeded, cored, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 English cucumber cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 19 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz feta cheese cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, combine the green onions, tomatoes, cucumber, chickpeas, parsley, mint and basil. Set aside.
To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and then season with salt and pepper.
Pour the dressing over the salad, add the feta cheese and then toss gently to coat all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper as needed.