The inspiration for this sausage cacciatore was from when I found some mild Italian sausages while tidying up my freezer. I was looking for recipes that used this ingredient when I stumbled upon this dish. I have shared a chicken cacciatore dish in the past, so I knew this one would be good. This sausage cacciatore is easy to make and uses the oven. It is also a one-pan dish, so cleanup is also easy. The sausage is cooked with the vegetables first for 30 minutes and then the diced tomatoes were added and further cooked for another 30 minutes. In the end, this hearty dish came out great.
- 2 mild Italian sausages
- 3 medium potatoes , peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ lb white button mushrooms , halved
- 1 medium onion , sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin oil
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian spices
- Few drops of liquid seasoning sauce , optional
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley , for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausages, potatoes, mushrooms, onion, garlic and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking pan. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and then slice the sausages into 1-inch pieces. Place the sliced sausages back on the pan with the vegetables.
- Add the diced tomatoes (plus juice) to the sausage and vegetable mixture. Stir to coat. Arrange the mixture in a n even layer and continue cooking for another 30 minutes. Sprinkle with a few drops of liquid seasoning, if using.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.