I love everything about this stew. It consists of two of my favorite ingredients: Italian sausage and eggplant. They are always in my weekly grocery list at least twice a month. I always use Italian sausage in place of ground beef or pork because it has been seasoned with herbs and spices and therefore more flavorful. Eggplant, on the other hand, has been a big part of my life when I was growing up. Fried eggplant and eggplant omelette are two of my comfort foods. In this sausage stew recipe, the vegetables and sausage were sauteed with the aromatics and spices and then slowly cooked with the diced tomatoes and broth until well blended. Chopped fresh basil and grated cheese were added last to enhance flavor and for added texture. The result was a delicious, comforting and satisfying meal on its own. Enjoy!
Sausage Stew with Eggplant and Celery
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 celery stalks ,sliced
- 1 onion ,chopped
- 1 red bell pepper ,diced
- 4 cloves garlic ,minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 mild Italian sausages ,casings removed and crumbled
- 2 Chinese eggplant ,peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 can (796ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, oregano and salt. Sauté, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in sausage and eggplant. Cook until meat loses its pink color, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes plus juices, and broth. Boil over high heat and then reduce to medium low. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in basil and sprinkle with cheese.