This coconut curry chicken dish caught my attention because the sauce is made of both tomato and coconut. I am a big fan tomato based sauces so I knew that this dish would taste great. After I made the dish and tasted the sweet and spicy tomato coconut curry chicken dish, I was not disappointed.
This dish is very easy to prepare. Chicken breasts are cut into chunks in this recipe. The chunks of chicken are first cooked in a mix of curry powder, oil, garlic and onions. Then they are simmered along with the coconut milk and tomatoes. The result is a delicious coconut-tomato curry dish that is sure to please. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 can (14 ounce) coconut milk
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomato
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Season the chicken chunks with salt and pepper.
Mix curry powder and oil. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the curry oil mixture. Heat curry oil for 1 minute.
Add garlic and onions and cook for 1 minute.
Add chicken chunks and toss lightly to coat with the curry oil mixture.
Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
Pour coconut milk, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Serve immediately, over rice. Enjoy!
- If you find that there is too much sauce for your taste, you can simmer for longer to reduce the sauce to the desired amount.
- A few people are wondering the type of curry powder I used. I used McCormick brand and is simply labeled as "Curry Powder". (example here)
Recipe source: All Recipes