We started using our barbecue grill a couple of weeks ago. Who wouldn’t with the hot and nice weather we are having here in Vancouver? We grilled our favorites: Filipino pork barbecue and Korean barbecue ribs. In the past, I would also grill some eggplant and make Filipino eggplant salad. The tangy mixture of eggplant, tomato and onions is my favorite side dish to have with pork barbecue. Last time, I tried this new grilled eggplant salad recipe that uses balsamic vinegar to flavor the sliced eggplant right after they were grilled. The flavored eggplant were further marinated in a mixture of parsley, capers, garlic, oregano pepper flakes and olive oil for at least 2 hours. The result was tender and tasty grilled eggplant that I enjoyed with the rest of the barbecued meat.
- ½ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 Japanese eggplants, sliced
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat an outdoor charcoal or gas grill. Alternately, heat a grill pan until smoking hot.
- In a large bowl, combine together parsley, capers, garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stir in the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place eggplant slices on the grill without overcrowding them. Cook the eggplants for 3 to 6 minutes and then turn them over. Cook for another 3 minutes or until eggplants are soft.
- Dip each grilled eggplant slice into the balsamic vinegar and then transfer to a plate. Continue grilling and dipping the eggplant until all the slices are cooked and seasoned.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the parsley mixture onto a platter and spread it out evenly. Arrange half of the grilled eggplant on the mixture in a single layer and then sprinkle more of the mixture on top of the slices. Place a second layer of eggplant on top and spread the remaining parsley on it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours refrigerate for longer. Serve at room temperature.
I noticed the recipe calls for peeled eggplant but the pictures appear to have skin on still. Which is better?
Ooops! I just fixed the mistake. The sliced eggplants were supposed to be grilled with skin on. Take care!
My mother never serve eggplant when I was a child. I have only recently discovered it, so I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. This sounds delicious, as does your salad. I was wondering if there’s something I could use as a substitute for the capers. We had a bad experience with them and are a little afraid to add them to anything we cook.
Just leave the capers out. The balsamic vinegar, oregano and other spices will be enough to flavor the grilled eggplant. Hope this helps!
love this salad! eggplant is currently one of my favourite vegetables. i love roasting it and tossing it through a salad or pastas. thanks for the recipe!
You’re welcome Thalia! My family loves any dish with eggplant and this one is no exception 🙂 Enjoy!