These matcha crinkle cookies get their name from their distinct crackle-top. The look is achieved by coating the dough-shaped balls in powdered sugar before baking. I have made several crinkle cookies in the past and they never disappoint. I have made meyer lemon crinkle cookies and chocolate crinkle cookies. The chocolate crinkle cookies are one of my favorites because they tasted just like brownies and the size was just perfect when craving for something sweet. I decided to make it again and since I love all things matcha, I used matcha green tea powder to flavor the cookies. I tested this recipe twice before I was satisfied with the texture and taste of the cookies. In the end, they came out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Furthermore, you can taste the matcha in each bite!
- All-purpose flour – binds all the ingredients together and gives the cookie its texture.
- Baking powder – gives volume to the cookies
- Salt – enhances the flavor of the other ingredients
- Matcha green tea powder – gives the cookies its green tea color and green tea flavor
- Unsalted butter – adds richness and density to the cookies
- Granulated sugar – adds sweetness to the cookies
- Eggs – give moisture and structure to the cookies
- Vanilla extract – enhances other flavors in the recipe
- Powdered sugar – is used to cover the cookie dough before baking
HOW TO MAKE MATCHA CRINKLE COOKIES:
To make these matcha crinkle cookies, first whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and matcha powder. Next, beat the butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until combined. Lastly, add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Divide the dough into 24 small balls. Roll each dough ball in powdered sugar and then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookies at preheated 350 degree F oven for 14 minutes. Immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
Matcha Crinkle Cookies
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Line two baking sheets with parchment papers or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour, baking powder, salt and matcha powder. Whisk well and then set aside.
- In a big bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds. Slowly add the sugar and continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Scoop 24 heaping tablespoonfuls of dough into plates. Form each dough into a ball. Roll the balls in the powdered sugar and then place on the prepared baking sheet at least 2-inch apart, placing 12 balls in each sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 14 minutes, or until the surface of the cookies have cracked and puffed up. Immediately transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to fully cool down.