I went to Costco on the weekend to do my weekly grocery shopping. I bought, among other things, a salmon fillet and a big bag of broccoli florets with the intention of having it for dinner. As you may already know, my family loves salmon and we have many family favorites. Some of our favorites include Maple Mustard Baked Salmon, Baked Salmon with Herbed Mayo, and Brown Sugar Spiced Salmon. However, this time, I simply drizzled the salmon with olive oil, sprinkled seasoning salt on it and then baked it in the oven for 15 minutes. A simple dish like this salmon needs a simple side dish to go with it. This broccoli with balsamic vinaigrette dish is perfect because of its simplicity and the use of easily accessible fresh ingredients. This side dish might be simple but the dressing mixture of extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, minced shallot and garlic is complex in its taste and flavor. It is also healthy and vegetarian, so you can eat it guilt-free.
The broccoli florets were cooked in boiling salted water until crisp tender, drained and then tossed with the balsamic vinaigrette. This broccoli with balsamic vinaigrette was ready in 15 minutes and goes really well with the baked salmon. Enjoy!
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook broccoli until crisp tender, about a minute. Drain well and set aside.
- In a big bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, basil, shallot and garlic. Season dressing with salt and pepper to taste and toss with broccoli.
- Serve with meat or seafood.