My family and I love meatballs. I have made and shared a few in the past. Some of them are chicken teriyaki, Moroccan meatballs, Romanian meatball soup and stroganoff meatballs. This easy meatball goulash recipe is a new favorite of ours. I am glad to stumble upon this delightful recipe on our local grocery’s magazine. It is a definite must try recipe! It consists of pieces of meatballs in a flavorful, tasty sauce. The meatballs were browned first and then slowly simmered in a sauce mixture of onion, sliced mushrooms, broth, water, tomato paste and paprika. The result was quite impressive. The meatballs, coated with the paprika flavored sauce, were delicious, filling and satisfying. Enjoy!
Easy Meatball Goulash
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced and divided
- 2 tbsp paprika divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- ½ lb sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a medium bowl, combine together beef, egg, bread crumbs, half of the garlic (1 minced garlic), 1 tablespoon paprika and salt. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well-blended. Use a spoon to scoop portions of mixture and form into meatballs.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add meatballs, in batches, and brown briefly on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Using the fat left from browning meatballs, sauté onion, mushrooms and remaining garlic; cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes
- Add broth, water, tomato paste and remaining 1 tablespoon paprika. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 10 to 15 min.
- Return meatballs and any juices to pan. Simmer, turning meatballs occasionally, until they’re cooked through and sauce is thickened, about 10 min. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve over noodles or rice.