I love using rotisserie chicken meat in my cooking, especially in dishes such as Italian salad, chicken ramen and chicken fajitas. I even used it recently in arroz caldo (Filipino style congee) and it turned out well and very tasty. Recently, I used this versatile meat to make this Filipino macaroni salad with chicken, a dish that is one of my favorites to have when I was growing up in the Philippines.
There are various way to make this salad. Others add carrots, cheese and even hard boiled eggs. I like mine simple, with just the basic ingredients. I learned how to make it from my aunt who passed away few years ago, after we immigrated here in Canada. It was her signature dish and she always made it for us whenever we visited her. It has been a while since I made this salad and I completely forgot how good it is. When chilled, this chicken macaroni salad is perfect to have on a hot summer day. It is delicious and satisfying. Enjoy!
Filipino Macaroni Salad with Chicken
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits drained
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 cups rotisserie or boiled chicken meat flaked
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise plus more if needed
- ½ cup raisins optional
- Cook macaroni in salted boiling water until tender but still chewy. Drain, transfer to a large mixing bowl and let cool completely.
- Once macaroni has cooled, add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Taste and add more mayonnaise, if needed. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply