During the winter holidays, I would always receive at least one bottle of wine from family and friends. This Christmas was no exception. A family friend gave us a bottle of red wine which I used to make this easy cream of mushroom soup. The combination of the mushrooms, red wine, heavy cream and fresh thyme make this soup very delicious and satisfying. I am pretty sure that once you have a bowl of this earthy soup you will ask for seconds.
Easy Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- ½ cup butter
- 2 lbs button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- A sprinkle or two of sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ bottle of any hearty red wine (I used merlot)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- Place a large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the butter, mushrooms and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until liquid from mushrooms had evaporated and mushrooms had turned lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Pour in the red wine and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking until the wine has reduced by about two-thirds, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, heavy cream and fresh thyme. Stir well and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Meanwhile dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Add this mixture slowly to the simmering soup, stirring until it returns to a simmer and thickens slightly. If you prefer your soup a bit thicker, feel free to add more cornstarch. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few more that I made.