I made this soup for my youngest son when he was not feeling well last week. It was so good; the rest of my family had to have it too. I love how the ingredients blend together to give this awesome soup so much flavor, aroma and texture. I personally love the bacon, white beans and the kale in this recipe. If preferred, the bacon may be omitted to make this soup a vegetarian one. The recipe calls for ½ head kale but I used 2 cups of mixed baby kale from the package I bought from Costco, the same way I used 2 cups of shredded cabbage/carrot from a package of coleslaw mix. This way, I did not have to chop and I can still use the extras for salads. My family agrees with me when I say it is one of the best soups we ever had. It was hearty, filling and very satisfying. Hope you enjoy it too!
- 2(540ml/18.26 oz) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz bacon, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sprig rosemary, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ½ head kale, chopped
- ½ white cabbage, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups chicken stock
- Handful basil, chopped
- Handful Italian parsley, chopped
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Mash half the beans and leave the remaining half whole. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and sauté bacon, garlic, onion, celery, carrot and rosemary for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, kale, cabbage, leeks, zucchini, and beans (whole and mashed), bring to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let soup simmer, uncovered, until the minestrone has a dense, stew-like texture, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir in basil and parsley. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few more that I made.
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
thank you for sharing this! I made this tonight and it was so yummy!
You’re welcome Tina! Glad you liked it 🙂
YUM! I’m always looking for new soup recipes and this is definitely on the list now!
Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by. Take care 🙂