This Italian sausage and vegetable soup recipe is not the typical soup that I would make for my family. But its ingredients of Italian sausage, vegetables and apple cider vinegar caught my attention. The health benefits of the vegetables and cider vinegar made me decide to make this soup. I made some changes by using some of my favorite vegetables, green peas and sweet corn kernel. The addition of macaroni makes this soup very filling thus making it a meal on its own. I was not disappointed. This soup is really good. A bowl of this hearty soup will keep you warm especially on a cold winter day.
Italian Sausage and Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (14-oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernel
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausages and cook for 4-6 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Add the onions, carrot and celery to the pan. Cook over medium low heat for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are fork tender. Add zucchini and garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, green peas and corn. Bring to a boil and then turn heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar and macaroni and cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to individual bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using.
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are a few more that I made.